There is always something wonderful and wonder-filled at the Springfield Museums. Come in and play!
HISTORY MUSEUM Lyman & Merrie Wood Museum of Springfield History
Toytopia Through July 7, 2019 LAST WEEKS!
Get ready for BIG play, BIG toys, and BIG fun! This immersive special exhibition is sure to rekindle the wonder and delight of your favorite childhood moments.
- The World’s Largest Etch A Sketch – It’s almost 8 feet tall!
- Retro Arcade Area, with working classic games
- A life-size Doll House, with engaging play areas
- Life-Size Monopoly Car and game board – Visitors can sit inside for a unique photo opportunity
- LEGO® Play Area/LEGO Wall
- LEGO Train layout, a fanciful working electric train layout runs through an inventive LEGO landscape
- Our Signature Jack in The Box explores the science of toys, from Furby® to radiometers, plus magnetic interactive play walls
- Schylling Tin Toys – See how tin toys are created out of simple sheets of tin
- Keva Planks, Lincoln Logs and Brain Teasers play areas
SCIENCE MUSEUM The Springfield Museum of Science
Thomas & Friends™: Explore the Rails! Through September 8, 2019
The world’s most beloved #1 blue engine is rolling into Springfield May 25! Springfield Museums is excited to present Thomas & Friends®: Explore the Rails, an interactive exhibit created by Minnesota Children’s Museum and inspired by the popular children’s series on PBS KIDS. The hands-on, immersive exhibit is ready for play May 25-September 8.
Featuring the favorite engines and destinations from Thomas & Friends, the STEM (Science Technology, Engineering, and Math)-focused exhibit seeks to engage children, ages 2 through 7 years, and families in foundational skills that foster STEM literacy through playful learning experiences. The exhibit incorporates foundational STEM practices that encourage thinking mathematically, making comparisons, experimenting to solve problems using a variety of methods and tools, thinking creatively and reflecting on actions and results.
- Climb into Thomas’s cab and explore the engine’s inner workings. Flip levers and investigate other moveable parts that trigger train noises such as braking, whistles and steam.
- Fix Percy’s wobbly wheel by removing and replacing parts and experimenting to find a combination of wheels, rods and bolts that work.
- Explore the favorite Island of Sodor destinations including: Tidmouth Sheds, Brendam Docks and the Sodor Search & Rescue Station on an over-sized Thomas Wooden Railway train table.
- Work with old and new friends loading luggage, livestock and other freight into the coaches of two train cars.
- Collaborate with others to get Percy moving by loading coal into his coal box and filling his tank with water from a water tower.
- Suit up as the conductor to exchange money and sell tickets to other visitors taking a ride on the train.
- Wander through a Thomas & Friends retrospective featuring model engines from the original live action series produced in London, copies of the original drawings and manuscripts from the Rev. W. Awdry, the creator of Thomas & Friends, and a collection of memorabilia documenting the history and evolution of Thomas & Friends through books, television, and toys.