The IRONMAN 70.3 Western Mass triathlon is back for it’s second year!
Enjoy a 1.2 mile downstream swim in the Connecticut River, a rolling 56 mile bike ride through the rural roads of New England, and a 13.1 mile run that takes you through downtown Springfield.
Athletes will have a downriver swim in the Connecticut River which will start at North Riverfront Park finishing 1.2 miles south at Riverfront Park. They will exit the water and head to a close by transition area along the Connecticut Riverwalk.
The single loop bike course will head west our of Springfield and towards the beautiful Berkshires region, through the Granville area before returning back through Westfield and West Springfield. Enjoy picturesque views and great road quality along the way of this 56 mile journey.
The fast and flat run course will take you along the Connecticut Riverwalk aligned with greenery and views of the river. Be prepared to head into downtown Springfield for an urban vibe finish line.
Court Square, from East Columbus Avenue to State Street, will be blocked off from 8 a.m. Saturday until 8 p.m. Sunday. The North and South End bridges will be partially closed Sunday.
Starting with the bicycle race, here is the route, listed turn-by-turn, with approximate times:
- Hall of Fame Avenue from Riverfront Park to Route 5 off ramp: 6:20 to 7:50 a.m.
- South End Bridge from Hall of Fame Avenue to River Road: 6:20 to 8 a.m.
- River Road from Bridge off ramp to Main Street: 6:25 to 8:15 a.m.
- Main Street from River Road to South Street: 6:30 to 8:20 a.m.
- South Street from Main Street to Suffield Street: 6:30 to 8:20 a.m.
- Shoemaker Lane from Suffield Street to West Westfield Street: 6:30 to 8:20 a.m.
- South Westfield Street from Shoemaker Lane to Pine Street: 6:40 to 8:35 a.m.
- Pine Street from South Westfield Street to Barry Street: 6:40 to 8:40 a.m.
- Barry Street from Pine Street to Rising Corner Road: 6:45 to 8:45 a.m.
- Rising Corner Road from Barry Street to South Longyard Road: 6:45 to 8:50 a.m.
- South Longyard Road from Rising Corner Road to Powder Mill: 6:45 to 9 a.m.
- Depot Street from South Longyard Road to Sheep Pasture Road: 6:55 to 9:05 a.m.
- Sheep Pasture Road from Depot Street to Congamond Road: 6:55 to 9:15 a.m.
- Congamond Road from Sheep Pasture Road to Route 10: 7 to 9:15 a.m.
- Vining Hill Road from Route 10 to South Loomis Street: 7 to 9:30 a.m.
- South Loomis Street from Vining Hill Road to Granville Road: 7:05 to 9:50 a.m.
- Route 57/Granville Road from South Loomis Street to Main Road: 7:10 to 9:50 a.m.
- Main Road from Granville Road to Old Westfield Road: 7:15 to 9:55 a.m.
- Old Westfield Road from Main Road to Granville Road: 7:20 to 10 a.m.
- Granville Road from Old Westfield Road to Northwest Road: 7:25 to 10:20 a.m.
- Northwest Road from Granville Road to Western Avenue: 7:30 to 10:25 a.m.
- Western Avenue from Northwest Road to Kensington Avenue: 7:35 to 10:35 a.m.
- Kensington Avenue from Western Avenue to Granville Road: 7:40 to 10:35 a.m.
- Granville Road from Kensington Avenue to City View Boulevard: 7:40 to 10:35 a.m.
- City View Boulevard from Granville Road to City View Road: 7:40 to 10:35 a.m.
- City View Road from City View Boulevard to Fowler Road: 7:40 to 10:40 a.m.
- Fowler Road from City View Road to Will Palmer Road: 7:40 to 10:45 a.m.
- Will Palmer Road from Fowler Road to Hillside Road: 7:45 to 10:50 a.m.
- Hillside Road from Will Palmer Road to Sunnyside Road: 7:45 to 10:55 a.m.
- Sunnyside Road from Hillside Road to Route 202: 7:50 to 11 a.m.
- Route 202/College Highway from Sunnyside Road to Tannery Road: 7:55 to 11:05 a.m.
- Tannery Road from Route 202 to Ponders Hollow Road: 7:55 to 11:15 a.m.
- Ponders Hollow Road from Tannery Road to Shaker Road: 8 to 11:15 a.m.
- Shaker Road from Ponders Hollow Road to Little River Road: 8 to 11:30 a.m.
- Little River Road from Shaker Road to Springfield Road: 8:05 to 11:30 a.m.
- Route 20/Springfield Road from Little River Road to Westfield Street: 8:10 to 11:35 a.m.
- Westfield Street from Springfield Road to Old Westfield Road: 8:10 to 11:40 a.m.
- Old Westfield Road from Westfield Street to Dewey Street: 8:10 to 11:40 a.m.
- Dewey Street from Old Westfield Road to Amostown Road: 8:10 to 11:50 a.m.
- Amostown Road from Dewey Street to Piper Road: 8:15 to 11:55 a.m.
- Piper Road from Amostown Road to Kings Highway: 8:20 to 11:55 a.m.
- North Boulevard from Kings Highway to Westfield Street: 8:20 a.m. to noon.
- South Boulevard from Westfield Street to Park Street: 8:20 a.m. to noon.
- Park Street from South Boulevard to Western Avenue: 8:20 a.m. to noon.
- Park Avenue from Western Avenue to Union Street: 8:25 a.m. to noon.
- Union Street from Park Avenue to New Bridge Street: 8:25 a.m. to 12:05 p.m.
- New Bridge Street from Union Street to Bresnahan Street: 8:25 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Bresnahan Street from New Bridge Street to Memorial Avenue: 8:25 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
- Memorial Avenue from Bresnahan Street to Memorial Bridge: 8:25 a.m. to 12:10 p.m.
For the running race, competitors make two loops, and these roads will be closed:
- Court Street will be closed from East Columbus Avenue to Main Street from 8 a.m. Saturday to 8 p.m. Sunday.
- East Columbus Avenue will be closed from State Street to Court Street from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- State Street from Hall of Fame Avenue to East Columbus Avenue will be closed 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Main Street will be closed from Park Avenue to Park Street Park from 8:30 a.m. to 2:25 p.m.
- Park Avenue will be closed from Main Street to the North End Bridge 8:40 a.m. to 2:20 p.m.
- North End Bridge, will have one eastbound lane closed from 8:35 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Hall of Fame Avenue will be closed from the Memorial Bridge to State Street from 4 a.m. to 4 p.m.