- This event has passed.
Yiddish Book Center, Community Open House
October 23 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm EDT
Bring family and friends for our annual Community Open House on Sunday, October 23, 2022. A day of free events at the Yiddish Book Center in Amherst, Massachusetts.
All events are free and open to the public, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. (Masks are required for all while in the building.)
Schedule of events:
- 11 a.m. Guided Public Tour of the Center’s exhibits and rare book vault. The 45 minute tour will be lead by Yiddish Book Center fellows.
- Noon Holyoke Hummus Food Truck. Purchase lunch and picnic outside.
- 1 p.m. Exhibit Opening and Gallery Talk with artist Debra Olin whose exhibit opens in the Center’s Brechner Gallery. A talk with Debra about her work followed by a visit with the artist in the Brechner Gallery.
- 2 p.m. The Glass Plates of Lublin: Found Photographs of a Lost Jewish World with Aaron Lansky and Lisa Newman
- A conversation and multi-media presentation about the story behind the recently released The Glass Plates of Lublin.
What is the Yiddish Book Center? Well, we’re not really a library, or a bookstore (though we’ve got one of those). And though we offer a lot of educational programs we aren’t, strictly speaking, a school. Maybe the best way to get an idea of who we are is to take a tour of the Center and see all of the things we do. That’s something best done in person, but like everything else these days, you can do it virtually as well.