- This event has passed.
The Springfield Armory, National Park Week
April 22, 2022 @ 9:30 am - April 24, 2022 @ 4:00 pm EDT
An event every week that begins at 9:30 am on Sunday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, repeating until April 24, 2022
Come celebrate with us!
Celebrate National Park Week with Springfield Armory National Historic Site. Bring your family to visit during National Park Week as we celebrate our service men and women, and our network of parks with fun, family activities, and more. Be sure to pick up your free interagency federal recreation land pass for you and your family to enjoy. Discover the history and culture of the Springfield Armory, take a ranger-led walking tour, participate in Junior Ranger activities, make a sun catcher, plant some seeds, learn about bees, attend a ranger program and more. See the full schedule of events below.
Free access to National Parks for military families
The Interagency Military Pass provides free entrance to national parks and other federal recreation areas to current U.S. military members and their dependents, U.S. military veterans, and Gold Star Families.
Passes are available at Springfield Armory during business hours. More locations and information available here Free Access to National Parks. Thank you for your service.
Become a Junior Ranger
Complete a series of activities during your visit, share your experiences with a ranger, take the pledge and earn your official Junior Ranger badge and certificate. Fourth Graders: you’re eligible for a free federal lands park pass. Visit the Every Kid Outdoors website and complete a short activity. You can exchange your paper voucher for a durable pass at Springfield Armory and begin your journey to Find Your Park!
Student artwork: A Global Connection on display
121 students from six Massachusetts schools interpreted the theme: ‘A Global Connection’ to create original artwork through the International Fiber Collaborative. Their artwork is on display through June 13. Participating schools include Coburn Elementary, Chestnut Hill Community School, Silver Lake Regional High, Uxbridge High, Westhampton Elementary, and Williamsburg Elementary.
Events will occur during normal park operating hours, Wednesday-Sunday 9:30am-4pm.
Activities for each day are offered from 10am-12pm and from 1pm-4pm. Activities will be held on the Commanding Officer’s Porch weather permitting. In case of rain, they will be held indoors in the visitor center.
The Interagency Military Pass is available during business hours and provides free entrance to national parks and other federal recreation areas to current U.S. military members and their dependents, U.S. military veterans, and Gold Star Families.
- Saturday, April 16th– Come and create a windsock with us!
- Sunday, April 17th– Join us as we make postcards to send off to a family member or friend.
- Closed Monday, April 18th and Tuesday April 19th
- Wednesday, April 20th– As we enjoy the sun, let’s make a sun catcher!
- Thursday, April 21st– Let’s take a moment and listen to nature around us and hear the birds. Join us in making a pinecone birdfeeders.
- Friday, April 22nd– It’s Earth Day! Stop on by to plant a seed and then take it home with you!
- Saturday, April 23rd– On Junior Ranger Day come and become a Springfield Armory Junior Ranger! We have Junior Ranger Books for all ages and Master Armorer books for those who want a challenge.
- Sunday, April 24th-On the last day of National Park Week, come and make a scrapbook page of your visit here at the Armory.
ABOUT THE PARK: Springfield Armory National Historic Site is the location of the nation’s first armory (1794 – 1968) and was established by George Washington. The site includes historic grounds, buildings, and the world’s largest historic American military firearms collection.