- This event has passed.
Adventure East, Paddling Trip
May 29 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm EDT
Join us for one of our Shad Runs along the Pocumtuck Range this spring!
This outing will be a 9-mile paddle from the Poplar Street access downriver to the Sunderland Boat Ramp. It will include a peek up the Deerfield River and exploration of some islands and sandbars which will provide us with excellent potential opportunities for birdwatching as bald eagles and other birds of prey can often be spotted on this route.
The paddling is smooth and can be somewhat swift, depending upon outflows from the Cabot Station, the main hydro-electric facility upstream. Though it has no rapids to navigate, it is still an area best avoided by first-time paddlers.
POCUMTUCK RANGE PADDLE – SHAD RUN
Age Level: 8 and up
Fitness Level: Able to paddle at a moderate pace for 30 minutes without a break, able to swim at least 10 yards cross-current unassisted
Skill Level: Intermediate+
- Kayak and paddle
- PFD appropriate to water conditions and your needs
- A snack and water/beverages
- Dry storage for small personal items
- A fun and scenic afternoon on the water with the potential for excellent birdwatching!
**In all AE programs, we encourage you to use the gear most comfortable to you or appropriate to the activity. If you intend to bring your own equipment, reach out at least 48-hours prior so we may make final plans for a safe and enjoyable day.
What to bring:
- Clothing for paddling* and dry clothing
- Footwear for paddling* and dry land footwear
- Sunglasses – polarized ideal
- Sunscreen and hat
- Waterproof camera!
- *Your feet WILL get wet, and splashes happen. The water is cold, and AE suggests a shorty wetsuit, otherwise layers of fast-dry clothes are better than regular cotton.
Meeting point: Sunderland Public Library